Friday, 5 September 2008

This is your captain speaking...

I write the following entry whilst flying to Portugal yesterday morning...

I don’t know about you but when I’m on a plane, I generally look out for the dude I think has the bomb! He’s usually a little bit nervous, vigilant, and tries too hard to keep a low profile! You tend to rule out blatant Muslims now, as that would just be too obvious, if somebody did want blow up a plane, they’d probably disguise themselves as an American businessman! And oh my God, getting through airport security now is like running an assault course… If it isn’t hard enough managing the escalators and ramps with your suitcase, you’re made to remove your laptop from your bag before putting it through the x-ray machine, then you need to walk through the metal detector, I don’t know about you, but I personally am surprised if I walk through and it doesn’t go off! Then you need to repack your bag before progressing to the next security check, which makes you remove your shoes and put them through another x-ray machine… Come on, if someone wants to smuggle a bomb onto a plane that badly, they’re going to be able to. I have an, acquaintance, who works for Gatwick security, I’m fairly sure she knows the people she works with fairly well, and, if paid enough money could quite easily turn a blind eye to that bomb stuffed down my underpants (not THAT one!) (This is where my blog gets flagged as being a potential terrorist threat! Whoops, there goes another keyword! All I have to do now is include C4 and I’ll probably get shut down!

Anyway ahead of Portugal I’m very excited! I tad pissed off at the fact I spilt Fanta all over my laptop the day before yesterday, and although it’s absolutely fine (super water resistant technology and whatnot) the ‘Ctrl’, ‘S’ and ‘’’ keys seem to be sticking slightly! ‘Sticky keys’ has developed a whole new meaning! (If you don’t get that joke, press ‘shift’ five times, go ahead, do it now, and see what happens!) I’m meeting Hugo at the airport in about an hour and a half, before he goes to Avante (Wanker! Yeah, I know you’re reading this! Thanks for picking me up anyway!) Although I have to say it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if my Mum has phoned him and told him not to bother and that she would instead. Susanna text me this morning as I boarded the plane, checking what time I arrive, almost in disbelief, it will be nice to see her, especially after letting her down a couple of times. (Smug bastard aren’t I?) Dominic (my brother in law (for those of you who complain at me not formally introducing who I write about (you know who you are (OLIVIA!))) dropped me off at the airport this morning, I am extremely grateful as come Friday he’ll have worked an average of 8.5 hour days for an entire 1/3 of a year running his own business… So, thank you Dom.

Stuff at work is going well, the fact that my boss didn’t read the four page report I presented yesterday, and stubbornly insisted I couldn’t possibly have done enough research to justify it asked me to redo it and just action what needs doing rather than reporting it and waiting for approval. It can be frustrating sometimes, like, I know how Google works, so when he asks me for a report on how we can boost our rankings, I can create a concise report in a day. He insisted I write down a list of keywords to search for, after about eleven, I managed to point out I hadn’t actually searched for the twelfth one yet! He also very much likes my idea of turning the social network into something fun, then allowing students to invite their friends, a concept mentioned in a previous post. All in all, it’s looking like I’m going to have nice, steady-paced, well paid job, which allows me to choose my own hours, ideal for when I begin studying come January…

Using a laptop on a plane isn’t quite as easy as one would imagine, it’s nothing like a train! You end up squashed up, barely able to see the screen, and being forced to raise the PC to eye level if you want to read over what you’ve written.

I wonder if my dongle works up here?

No comments: