Sunday, 20 July 2008

Seven Days to Change my Life

I'd like to think that this being my last week working full time has no relevance to the sudden change of gears in my life. At the moment I'm at the point where I've held down the clutch too long before shifting up to into third gear, and am being forced to pick up in second again, I've slowed down so that it doesn't grater when I accelerate, and am hoping to pick up on my health and fitness where I left off. Before I started my new job two months ago, I decided to break my policy of not working in small offices frequented by the company's highest authority. It's brought back the feelings which represented everything I always hated about places like Bougainvillea and that horrible marketing company I left after two days in Addlestone. I've been weak though, I've gotten lazy and neglected my health and fitness. I've been buying convenience food, ordering deliveries, eating cookies and drinking Fanta. I've not been working out, jogging or even walking as much as I normally do. I can't blame anyone but myself for starting a job I ******* hate (which has given me good experience nevertheless, and an unfriendly reminder that wankers in the workplace are still very prevalent) I've just felt as though I need to preserve as much energy as possible, so as to be prepared for any confrontations. It's like I've constantly had to watch my own back, not so much for fear of the enemy, but friendly fire from my so called colleagues. But whatever, that's enough complaining, regardless of the industry you're in, you either sink or swim, it's as simple of that. People often misunderstand what swimming entails, while they paddle breathlessly to keep the boss afloat, they scarcely notice the abysmal depths to which they've succumbed. You can put in a 60 hour week, but if someone else takes the credit for it who isn't in a position to give you a raise, then what's the point? Keep an eye on your goals, and more importantly on everything achieving them entails. Know yourself, know your limitations and boundaries, and keep a balance.

I'm giving myself 7 days to change my life. I need to get back to the gym, stop loosing money playing poker, progress my business plans and develop a career. Sunday will be the seventh day... by then I aim to have achieved a healthy balance conducive to getting fit and being healthy. I want to go home as soon as possible, and my Mum will kill me if I'm fat and spotty! Well, she'll kill me if I'm spotty!

Anyway, I've updated my IMDB account with my movie ratings, my DVD collection and my 'to buy' list. I'd love any recommendations for good movies. I'm into Korean (and Asian in general) cinema at the moment. I watched Oldboy and A Bittersweet Life recently and thought they were pretty good, I also have Internal Affairs on order from HMV. Most Asian mob films follow the same principle though: Guy works for mob, mob get pissed off with guy, mob try to kill guy, guy survives, guy seeks revenge on mob, guy kills mob! But the sadism and cinematography make a predictable storyline very entertaining, it made me appreciate the basis of Killbill so much more, and also lead me to realize how bad it is compared to Chen-wook Park or Ji-woon Kim's films. Revenge seems to play a big role in Asian cinema nevertheless. And is giving me ideas which will probably get me into trouble, I'm going to take Karate lessons!

1 comment:

~ said...

How many times do I have to tell you to watch "Lust, Caution"?! And try "Turn Left, Turn Right". Oh oh oh, and "My Sassy Girl" (Korean)!