Saturday, 23 August 2008

Woirk, Plymouth and Cwoffee!

Well, I sealed my intentions of going home yesterday during a meeting with management in which I proposed what had to be achieved in regard to the website, and when it would be done by, insidiously slipping into my schedule 4 days in Cornwall this week, and then 10 days in Portugal! I feel that in order to produce a social network which is actually appealing, I'll need to dedicate more time to the project, and I know that when I put forward my recommendations I will be asked how it can be done, andwhen my answer is composed of words management don't understand, I'll probably be asked to do it for them. If you want a social network to be appealing, firstly, it needs to be a network and not a utility! You need to be able to interact with other users... You need to be able to upload photos, but more importantly, and this is where the dilemma lies, you need to be able to invite your friends along to join, and we currently only allow students who attend our course to subscribe. If on the other hand though I cold sell the exclusivity of it, then that could possibly add to its appeal... After all that's how Facebook began, because at first it only allowed academics to join and retain a profile, all the more people seemed to want one! The same with Gmail, at first when you acquired an account you were given 5 invites which you could then send to your friends. So, even if I applied something like this to my social student network, it wouldn't necessarily be counter productive as there friends could quite easily become potential customers. But still, it all hangs on the network being appealing enough. Anyway, enough about work for now!

Cornwall should be interesting! Kim apparently asked if I was going, so she mustn't resent me that much... Jess is going to be around, which in a place like Cornwall, where there isn't a whole lot to spend your money on, could be rather pleasant, not because I'm embarrassingly tight, because I'm not, but because he is. The coasts are probably as nice as they can get in England and the countryside is just astounding! We'll be leaving on Monday, which gives me all of today to get ready, clean my flat, do my washing, go to Starbucks, procrastinate and maybe watch a movie and then all of tomorrow to read and play video games with my nephews. I text Cindy to ask if she would like to over for dinner, if nothing else so that I can find the motivation to clean up, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I'm hungry, I might go into town and grab something unhealthy... Buy coffee and make another couple of templates for my website too.

Peace.

No comments: